Saturday, April 24, 2010

Ubuntu let me down, but let me recover

Ok, I've been running Ubuntu Linux since November.  The only real complaint I've had about it is the sound system turns itself off occasionally if more than one user is logged on (very irritating).

Today, I tried to update to the latest Release Candidate.  I had the time in the afternoon, even though my evening was going to be full.

After doing the upgrade, my system refused to boot.  This has never happened while using FreeBSD or OpenSolaris.  And since I'm very bad about doing backups, it's beyond a little irritating.

Since a lot of my files are "in the cloud", it's not a fatal problem.  However, I cannot find the original Windows install disk (which I run in Virtual Box).  Since I have some work I am forced to do in Windows from time to time, that is a big problem.  I may be forced to shell out money to get Win7.

I was able to install the old version of Ubuntu along side the new and broken version, which gives me access to the filesystem.  Currently doing the backups I should have been doing, and then I'll wiped the disk, do a fresh install, and restore the data.  Hopefully, before too much longer, I'll be back to normal.

No comments: