Friday, November 6, 2009

Ubuntu or bust

In a previous post I talked about how I was frustrated with my current operating system and ready to replace it.  I'm going to try to get that done this weekend, although I will be out of town Friday and Saturday, which leaves me Sunday afternoon.

From the title you can tell what I'm planning on installing, but let's go through my reasons.

I've not been a GNU/Linux fan in the past.  My first *nix work experience was with Solaris in the late '90's.  My first home *nix experience was with FreeBSD, which I've run for almost 10 years until the computer it was running on died a couple of months ago.  So why did I decide on Ubuntu instead of a BSD system like PC-BSD? Let's look at my requirements and wants.

Primary, must haves:
  • Compile and Run Java applications
  • Ability to run Windows on a virtual machine, especially to compile and run Java applications that require Windows and possibly C# down the road.
  • Features for the family, which for now shares this computer (video, music, facebook, email, etc).
Secondly, really want:
  • Being able to logon as another user without having to log out myself.
  • Wireless networking.
  • Ability to run Gnucash without a virtual machine.
  • Different formats of music and video to work more or less out of the box (mp3, asx, etc).
  • Ability to update iPods.
There are some other features I'd like, such as being able to run Conky and TweetDeck. I also prefer Gnome to KDE (personal preference, don't get snippy with me).

I'm running Ubuntu in Virtual Box and it seems to give me much of what I need and want to do.  I looked at PC-BSD, and was a little turned off by the fact it runs KDE.  Also, I've used FreeBSD as a development platform before.  Yes, it will run Java, but it is difficult (or at least time consuming) to setup.  Virtual Box is relatively new for FreeBSD, but Sun has a Linux version.  Also, I've never been able to run a vmware image on FreeBSD, and I may have to do that at some point for a project coming up.  Finally, I really like the look of the newest version of Ubuntu.  They have done a really good job on the look and feel.

So, Sunday, during the game, I will start backing up all the data on my computer.  If that goes well, I hope to install Ubuntu.  Next week, it's back to making this machine earn a living.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck! Ubuntu is one of the easiest linux installs I've ever done, so I think you'll be just fine.

Rik said...

I'm not so much worried about the install as losing functionality. I shouldn't, as it's still a *nix system. But if I have to worry about something, that and the time it's going to take to do it are what worry me.