Friday, October 30, 2009

Where is your heart?

I've wanted to be a writer since I was a teenager.  I remember my mom asking me if it was alright if my cousin read a story I was working on, because she was much younger and my mom was afraid the story my have "adult" themes in it.  It didn't, so my cousin was my very first reader.

In my early twenty's, on a midnight shift in the Air Force, I decided I needed to make my name standout, for the binder of a book.  I played with different spellings of Ricky, Rich, and Rick, but I no longer felt like a Ricky, which I had been growing up.  Some people were calling me Rich; some Rick.  I decided I liked Rick, so I played with different spellings like Ric and Rik.  It didn't hurt that the horse clan books were some of my favorite at the time.  So I started spelling my name Rik, primarily because I thought it would look good on a book cover.

I've heard that real authors keep something to write on close by, because they never know when a story might hit them.  I just noticed that I do the same, but not for stories, but for coding problems.  I had to run down stairs a moment ago to write down the pseudo-code for a design I have to turn in on Monday, because I had finally worked part of it out.

So although I've always wanted to be a writing, it's possible at this time, I am were I am supposed to be.  Hopefully like Dave Duncan (a wonderful writer) I can retire to my dream of writing.  But for now, I am what I am.  A programmer.

No comments: