Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Did God guide the stone?

I'm currently reading Soul Sword by Vernon Kitabu Turner (highly suggest it).  It's given me a lot to think about when it comes to Martial Arts, including my SCA fighting, but also Theology.

One thing I've been thinking about for the last few days is how God prepares us and guides us in life. To use a Biblical example, let's take the story of David and Goliath. I struggle sometimes, as a Christian, with (in my own life, but using this example) did God guide the stone to strike Goliath, or did God prepare David for the task and trust that David would accomplish it.

If you read David's story up to this point, you can see that he has already used the sling to protect the sheep he was in charge of. You can see that the story is telling us that David was an expert with that weapon. The part of the story we don't talk about so much is that David was prepared for this fight. He was not just a kid that picked up a stone and saved the day. Yes, he trusted in God and put aside his fear to step up and do something everyone else was afraid of.

So, what am I trying to say. Trust yourself. God has prepared you for the things he wants you to do, trust that He is capable of getting you there. He does.

No comments: